Monday, September 22, 2008

Worksheet for Hiroshima 1

Here is the worksheet we did aloud today with the answers. Feel free to ask if you do not understand :)


1. Tom thinks he is so cool but he should ____ his pedestal. He’s just like the rest of us.

a) down from b) get off c) slip off

2. I saw you the other day; you were ____ a cute outfit.
a) in b) on c) about


3. ___ seeing you cheered me from my gloomy mood.
a) merely b) when c) on


4. The reason I didn’t get my homework done doesn’t ____ staying out late with friends and partying….
a) because b) have anything to do with c) mean


5. The desert did not ___ have many animals. I only saw one lizard.
a) sort of b) look to c) seem to


6. The little girl was so absorbed in her book she was ___ her mother calling her name.
a) oblivious to b) ignore c) seeing


7. That boy puts on a(n) ___ like he knows what he is doing. But he has no clue at all.
a) appear b) façade c) sight


8. My life ___ before my eyes as the taxi came within inches of hitting me.
a) slipped b) lurched c) flashed


9. The ___ of sun in the rearview mirror blinded me and I couldn’t see.
a) glare b) bright c) sight


10. The man on TV was so cute he ___ me (my attention) and I felt my heart stop.
a) stopped b) arrested c) moored


11. Even though Susan farted in class, she pretended Jerry did it to ___.
a) point of honour b) save face c) disdain


12. When I came to China, I __ unable to say simple things.
a) at a loss b) found myself c) intermezzo


13. “You are right Mary. That is __ the reason we are in France---to learn French.”
a) only b) why c) just


14. My plans are __. We can do whatever you want. It’s no biggie.
a) flexible b) beige c) cautious


15. Britney Spears dances without ___ and does whatever she wants.
a) inhibition b) restrain c) muted


16. “No! You can’t pay! I __. You are my guest. I am taking you out.”
a) protest b) insist c) make a point


17. The traditional Japanese houses ___ with the skyscrapers in Hiroshima.
a) clashed b) honeycombed c) dwarfed


18. No one wanted to talk about what had happened at Nanjing and they ___ their memories.
a) shamed b) suppressed c) traced


19. Talking while other people talk makes me ___.
a) jolt b) humiliated c) agitated


20. I had a big pimple on my nose and everyone was staring. I was so ___.
a) shamed b) embarrassed c) stigmatized



21. When my boyfriend left me, he took everything and left without a(n) ___.
a) trace b) impact c) trickle


22. Even if you want to avoid seeing Mark, you’ll ___ him everyday. He’s in your class.
a) clash b) encounter c) linger

No comments: